My guest today is Diane Lebson. Diane grew up as a first-generation American in Milford, Connecticut, the daughter of working-class, Polish immigrants who instilled in her a strong work ethic and desire to “do good.” After studying international relations in college, Diane stayed in Washington and began her nonprofit career on the national staff of United Way, the largest charity in the United States. Over the course of seventeen years, she managed United Way’s national literacy program, directed the national board of trustees, and built a women’s giving program that has to date raised over $2 billion and mobilized over 70,000 philanthropists.
After leaving United Way, she went on to lead US fundraising operations for an international nongovernmental organization that serves orphans and abandoned children, leads a public library foundation, serves as the Chief of Protocol at the US Embassy in Canberra, Australia, and oversees the women’s giving program for the American Red Cross. In 2018, she and her husband co-founded Evergreen Philanthropic Solutions, a national consultancy that helps nonprofit organizations, individuals, corporations, and foundations achieve their philanthropic goals.
Here’s what to expect during the episode:
- How individuals can help local nonprofit organizations? Sending a “Thank You” letter hits different!
- What do you think is the importance of working in a nonprofit organization that aligns with your own values?
- Outweighing the difference in men and women and their approach to philanthropy.
- Gender Generosity: Women are more likely to make charitable donations than men.
- Women’s philanthropic influence within the family and community.
- Women on boards advance the goal of gender balance – And surprising advantages of women’s presence on boards!
- What are the essential ways to ask a prospective candidate to join your nonprofit board?
- And many more!
Connect with Diane Lebson!
For A Good Cause: A Practical Guide to Giving Joyfully
Go to https://hilandconsulting.org/boardorientationchecklist to get your free Effective Board Orientation Checklist.
Mary’s book is available on Amazon or wherever books are sold: Love Your Board! The Executive Directors’ Guide to Discovering the Sources of Nonprofit Board Troubles and What to Do About Them.
Be sure to subscribe to Inspired Nonprofit Leadership so that you don’t miss a single episode, and while you’re at it, won’t you take a moment to write a short review and rate our show? It would be greatly appreciated!
Let us know the topics or questions you would like to hear about in a future episode. You can do that, and follow us, on Facebook.
Connect with Mary!
Inspired Nonprofit Leadership Facebook Group: https://tinyurl.com/inspirednonprofitleadership
Company Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hilandconsulting